Thursday 18 April 2013

Little Bit of History

While it took a while to decide to even start this blog, the bigger decision was where to start.  So, I suppose that since every good story starts with a bit of a background to set the scene, and introduce the main characters, that is where I should start.

My family grew up in Northern Ontario.

My father's family all lived in the same town, or close proximity.  My paternal grandfather worked at the shipyards.  Being a port city, large freighters would dock at the shipyards, where cargo was transferred to and from railway cars. I'm not really certain what exactly he did there, but I have the idea that he worked with metal and welding.  I just remember him coming home from work, dusty and dirty.  My grandmother, for the most part, was a homemaker, but she did work part-time at a small restaurant.  My dad had a younger sister, who I adopted as my older sister, because she was only 16 when I was born.  He had a younger brother, who had health issues, and passed away as a very young child.  When I was 16, we found out that Dad had an older sister too, but thats another story.  Dad's side of the family is a combination of Ukranian and Croatian.  With Grandpa having two brothers, and Grandma having a brother and a sister, it made for a lot of cousins.  Weddings and get-togethers were always loud and full of laughter.

My mother's family was split between Southern Ontario and Manitoba.  I don't know how or why my grandparents chose to live between both of their families.  Both had numerous siblings, resulting in many cousins, but because they were so spread out, we didn't see them often.  My maternal grandfather was a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force.  After the war, Grandpa worked in heating.  At least I think that is what he did.  Eventually, he started working at the District Jail, I think as the custodian/caretaker.  My memories of my grandmother are vivid, but unfortunately, limited, as sadly she passed away when I was only 8 years old.  Grandma didn't work.  She was very busy with activities at her church, organizing bazaars and bake sales.  She enjoyed golfing, curling, gardening, crafts and sewing.  Mom's side of the family was of English, Irish and French descent. By contrast to my Dad's side of the family, Mom's side of the family seemed more reserved and 'proper'.  My mom has an older brother.  He is still the epitomy of the "older brother", poking and pestering.  Love him <3

Mom and Dad were married in early 1966.  I arrived later that summer, when Mom was 21 and Dad was 23. My sister would arrive 4 years later.  From the very beginning, Dad worked very hard to support his family, doing a wide variety of jobs.  Mom stayed home to take care of the family.  As I said in my previous post, kids assume that the world they live in, is the same as all their friends.  We never felt like we did without, but in later years, we would hear stories about how difficult is was for our parents when we were growing up.

So, there is a bit of a history of my very "working class" family.  I know....pretty dry and boring, and well, typical. Public perception was very important to Dad.  He worked very hard, and wanted to be viewed as successful by family, friends and collegues alike. He was very opinionated and strong willed.  He liked to convey that he had money.  Dad was a very physical man, always working with his hands. In later years, when his health started failing him, it was this part of his character that I would miss the most.  And the sound of his laughter.

Mom and Dad have both recently passed away.  They are both missed badly.  So, this blog becomes a way to record the memories that make me laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment